The Touro College Career Fair is right around the corner and is planned for September 24th. It offers a valuable opportunity to meet with different companies in various industries and to network with potential employers.
Are you prepared? Here are 10 tips to make the most of your time—and possibly score a new job.
- Have a clear idea of what type of position you are looking for. Do you need an internship or a full-time position?
- Narrow down your choices. For example, marketing majors may want to be consultants, managers, or advertisers. There are so many career options in each field so determine where you see yourself.
- Go in with an open-mind. Even if a company doesn’t offer a position you were interested in, make a good impression since you never know where it could take you down the line.
- Have a clear, clean looking resume. Resumes need to be aesthetically appeasing. Your resume should be organized in a professional manner so employers can quickly locate information they are looking for.
- Research the companies you are interested in beforehand. Knowing facts about the company will not only set you apart from other contenders but will also enable you to ask questions at the end of the interview.
- Know yourself. Prepare a list of your best skills and qualities. Also, know your weaknesses so you can address that question properly in case the companies ask about them.
- Positive attitude. A smile goes a long way. Companies want to hire easygoing positive employees that will be team players.
- Dress appropriately. Come well-groomed, in professional business attire.
- Practice your interview skills. You know the saying, “Practice makes perfect?” Well, it actually does help you better understand your key attributes that should be highlighted to a future employer.
- Be yourself. Companies don’t want robotic, memorized answers. Don’t be afraid to show your personality.